The nourish bowl is aptly named. It’s a meal-sized bowl bursting with nutrient-dense, wholesome natural ingredients.
While initially started as a plant-based eating trend, the #nourishbowl concept has evolved and now includes a range of animal and plant protein packed recipes.
Nourish bowl ingredients
- 300g fresh salmon
- 15ml Cajun Spice or Lemon and Herb Spice mix
- 300g cooked brown rice
- 60ml fresh herbs, such as parsley, coriander, mint, chopped
- salt and milled black pepper
- 15ml olive oil
- 250g button mushrooms
- 100g baby button mushrooms
- 1 small packet rocket leaves
- 80ml pomegranate rubies
Did you know? Mushrooms have been enjoyed for centuries for their distinctive flavour, texture and mystique. Although often grouped as vegetables, mushrooms reside in their own biological kingdom, classified as fungi and are a very diverse group of organisms.
Turmeric yoghurt dressing ingredients
- 180ml thick plain yoghurt
- 3ml ground turmeric
- 2ml curry powder
- 5ml fresh ginger, freshly grated
- Salt and milled black pepper
Mushrooms are a rich source of plant protein – a 100g serving contain 3.3g of protein. The most common proteins found in mushrooms are lectins. They also have a low energy density and low GI, thus have the ability to fill you up without filling you out – a single serving of button mushrooms contains only 103kJs.
Nourish bowl instructions
- Rub the spice onto the flesh side of the salmon.
- Heat a pan until hot, sear the salmon, skin side facing down, for 2-3 minutes. Turn the fish over and cook, over a moderate heat, for a further 4-6 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. The middle should still be a little soft and pink. Set aside until cool enough to handle and then break the fish up into bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, mix the rice and herbs together.
- Season with salt and pepper, keep warm and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked. Serve the mushrooms in a bowl, with some of the rice and salmon.
- Garnish with rocket leaves and pomegranate rubies and serve with the turmeric yoghurt dressing.
Turmeric yoghurt dressing instructions
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.