Strapped for time? Blitz up this power smoothie for a fibre-packed on-the-go breakfast.
It will leave you feeling satisfied, with enough energy to power you through your morning.
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yoghurt
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 1 serving protein of choice, berry flavour
- ½ cup ice
Rolled oats have a lower glycaemic index than the processed instant variety. This means a sustained release of energy throughout your morning, instead of those horrible blood sugar spikes that leave you tired by mid-morning.
- Pour ½ cup water into the rolled oats and allow to soak for about 15 minutes, or until oats have softened.
- Add soaked oats, frozen berries, ice, milk and yoghurt into a blender.
- Blend until smooth and frothy.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.