Whether you’re on a low-carb diet jaunt, or simply want to a few new healthy meal ideas to freshen up your diet, try this easy-to-make, high-protein, nutrient-dense breakfast.
This tasty dish is the perfect spicy start to your day! It will keep your taste buds satisfied without breaking the bank on your daily calorie count.
- 3 free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 cherry tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 slice cheddar, grated
- 2 tbsp homemade salsa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Studies have found that organic eggs from chickens that ate grass and insects, instead of feed, contained higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids, as well as vitamins E, A and, in some cases, vitamin D.
- Pre-heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Whisk eggs, water, pepper, onion, tomatoes, spinach and jalapenos together.
- Pour into pan. Allow eggs to firm slightly before stirring to scramble. Cook until eggs reach desired consistency.
- Turn off heat and add cheese to the top. Cover with a lid and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
Add 2 tbsp of salsa and serve.
Homemade salsa sensation!
Add tomatoes, onion, green chilies, lemon juice, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is combined, yet remains chunky. Refrigerate until required in scramble recipe.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.