Bread has a bad rap in the healthful eating world but you don’t need to give this quick and convenient food a wide berth.
Constructing a tasty yet healthful breakfast simply requires the right choices because not all breads are created equal. Add the right toppings and you’ve got the perfect breakfast or snack.
MORE RECIPES: Chocolate Protein Hazelnut Truffles
- 1-2 slices of bread of choice
- Small handful of fruit of choice (banana or blueberries are delish!), chopped
- 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 1 Healthy Girl Foods protein ball, crumbed
Most people list processed breads on their ‘no-go’ diet list but you can have your slice and eat with the right choice. Whole grain seed breads, sourdough, 100% whole wheat, oat bread, and flax bread and rye bread are great options to start your way some complex carbs and added nutrients.
MORE RECIPES: ‘Ferrero Rocher’ Truffles
- Toast your bread to desired toastiness.
- Spread nut butter on toast and top with sliced fruit.
- Sprinkle crumbed Healthy Girl Foods protein balls on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
According to research published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, toasting bread delivers a health benefit by lowering its glycemic index.
MORE RECIPES: Peanut Butter ‘Oreos’
The Healthy Girl Foods range is available at select Dis-Chem Pharmacies nationwide.
Recipe supplied by Andene Thomson @healthygirl_foods.
MORE RECIPES: Healthy Girl Milk Tart
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.