Tame that sweet tooth the Healthy Girl way!
- 1 Healthy Girl Cacao Crunch Protein Ball Mix
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 5 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1½ cups roasted hazelnuts (½ cup whole and 1 cup chopped)
- 1½ slabs of dark chocolate, melted
Darker is better: The darker the chocolate, the less sugar and milk it contains. Natural dark chocolate also has more antioxidant-packed cacao in it.
- Empty the packet contents into a mixing bowl.
- Pour the melted coconut oil, almond butter and maple syrup over the packet contents. Mix well until a sticky-like consistency is reached.
- Roll the mixture into balls and then place a hazelnut in the middle. Roll again to make sure the hazelnut is hidden.
- Roll the balls into the melted chocolate and then into the chopped hazelnuts.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
Makes 20 balls
Become a health nut: Hazelnuts contain high levels of monounsaturated fats, which can improve cardiovascular health and help to manage type-II diabetes. Hazelnuts are a good source for oleic acid, which helps to lower ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol and can raise ‘good’ HDL cholesterol levels.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.