Eggs are little nutritional powerhouses that have been a part of the diets of athletes and serious gym-goers for ages due to their rich, highly-bioavailable protein content – a medium-sized egg contains 5g of protein.
Eating a few eggs in nutritious recipes like this spinach salad with egg and salmon first thing in the morning or soon after training provides ample protein to support muscle repair and growth.
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves, sliced
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- 4 slices smoked salmon
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Spinach is a nutrient-rich leafy green vegetable that contains high amounts of carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid, iron, and calcium, as well as insoluble fibre to aid digestion.
- Rinse and dry the spinach leaves and put on a plate. Top with the egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the salmon and place over the eggs.
- Whisk the vinegar and oil together and drizzle over the salad before sprinkling with the chopped parsley.
Salmon is rich with omega-3 fatty acids, which play numerous roles in health promotion and disease prevention.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.