Our next delicious recipe, courtesy of Fria’s Superfoods, is one you’ll all love… pizza. And not just a regular pizza crust, a healthy gluten-free crust that’s quick and easy to put together on a wintery Friday night to enjoy under a blanket on the couch with your favourite film on the screen.
There’s no white flour and additives here, only all natural, whole food ingredients that are good for your mind, body and soul.
You will need:
- A three-quarter cup of quinoa (soaked in water overnight)
- 1 large head of cauliflower with the stalk removed
- A quarter cup of olive oil
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- A half cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- A quarter cup of grated parmesan
- Half a teaspoon of dried oregano
- One teaspoon xanthan gum (widely available at stores such as Wellness Warehouse and Dis-Chem)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Steam the cauliflower for three minutes without water. Drain quinoa while your cauliflower is on the go.
- Pre-heat your oven to 215 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all the above ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and then roll out on a baking tray.
- Top the pizza crust with a few of your favourites – whatever your heart desires.
- Bake for twenty minutes.
And there you have it. As easy as one, two, three, four!
What’s the big deal with gluten?
Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like wheat, rye and barley. Many people aren’t affected by gluten at all, but others react negatively by experiencing headaches, bloating and discomfort; some people suffer from a wheat allergy that causes digestive issues or more serious illnesses like Celiac Disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In the cases above, gluten-free is the way to go.
Enjoyed this recipe? Let us know on social media:
Fria’s Superfoods delicious balls, bombs, cakes and goodie boxes can be found at select outlets in Cape Town or ordered online at www.friassuperfoods.co.za.
Author: Mariska du Plessis
Mariska is the editor of Fitness Magazine, a writer, photographer, videographer and Wellness Blogger.
Follow her on Instagram: @justmariska_