We love warm, hearty quinoa bowls, especially in winter. In fact, all ‘nourish’ or ‘Buddha’ bowls are great on-trend meal options, but there’s something extra satisfying about building a flavoursome delight on a base of warm and fluffy quinoa.
The mighty quinoa grain (we actually buy and eat the seeds) is packed with nutrients, providing a terrific source of plant-based protein, with all nine essential amino acids (it’s one of the few complete plant proteins).
- ½ quinoa, rinsed
- 400g chickpeas
- 700g pumpkin
- Baby spinach
- Baby tomatoes
- ½ avocado
- Mixed seeds
Quinoa delivers a dose of B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorous, vitamin E, insoluble fibre, magnesium, riboflavin and phytonutrients.
- Peel and deseed the pumpkin and cut into small cubes.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine oil and cinnamon in a bowl. Add pumpkin and chickpeas and toss to coat. Transfer to tray. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Cook the quinoa as directed. Add it to your bowl.
- Slice the baby tomatoes into halves and the avocado into slices.
- Combine the pumpkin and chickpeas with the quinoa.
- Top with the spinach, tomatoes, avo and mixed seeds and serve.
Quinoa is gluten free, which makes it an ideal base ingredient for those who suffer from Celiac disease, gluten intolerance or simply those on a gluten-free diet.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.