When winter cravings strike, rather opt for less sinful sweet treats with innovative recipes like this better-for-you take on Strawberry Kisses.
They pack a protein punch to maintain that muscle and keep your metabolism humming throught winter.
- 1 slab 90% dark chocolate
- 1 scoop whey protein powder
- 1 tbsp Lifestyle Food sweetener
- 1 tub (250g) cottage cheese
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 banana, mashed with a fork
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 30g Lifestyle Food peanut butter
Dark chocolate is a rich source of antioxidants, along with various minerals such as iron, magnesium, copper and manganese.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water or in a microwave at 30% power for 3–4 minutes. Pour a thin layer on to the bottom of each individual compartment of a silicone ice tray and place in the refrigerator to set. Reserve the remaining chocolate for the top layer.
- Mix the remaining ingredients, except for the peanut butter, with a beater until well combined.
- Stir in the peanut butter with a fork and place the ice-cream ingredients in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Mix the ice-cream with a fork again after 30 minutes and spoon into the ice-tray compartments on top of the chocolate layer.
- Cover with a final thin layer of chocolate and pop in the freezer for about an hour until set.
- When ready to serve, turn the kisses out of the moulds and allow the ice cream to defrost for a few minutes before eating.
- There will be some ice-cream left over. Save it for a topping on a protein waffle.
Greek yoghurt is a beneficial sources of dairy-derived protein and calcium and also contains probiotics, potassium and vitamin B12.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.