Quinoa is a great whole-grain replacement for the refined and processed grains used in commercial breakfast cereals.
This warm and satisfying meal is great a winter breakfast also contains ample protein.
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 1 scoop plant-based protein
- Handful blueberries
- Handful mixed nuts, unsalted
Quinoa contains protein, delivering 14g of this muscle-building macronutrient in every 100g serving. Plus, it’s a great source of dietary fibre, as well as a range of vitamins and minerals.
- Combine the quinoa and almond milk in a pot. Bring to the boil then lower heat a simmer.
- Stir regularly until very little almond milk remains and quinoa is soft.
- Remove from heat. Combine the mixture with your favourite plant-based protein powder supplement and mix in with the extra almond milk.
- Top with fruits and nuts. Serve and enjoy.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.