Recipe supplied by Lelani Loots
Doughnuts are such a decadent sugar-laden treat, which makes them diet and waistline destroyers.
Thankfully, by using a few healthier ingredients, you can create a cheat treat alternative that you can enjoy on a regular basis.
Natural peanut butter delivers a rich supply poly- and monounsaturated fats (50%). It’s also high in protein (25%), with a moderate amount of carbohydrates (19%).
- 1 tbsp of almond milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 scoop chocolate flavoured whey protein
- 1 tbsp coconut or almond flour
- Step 1. Whisk all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Step 2. Pour into a pre-heated doughnut maker.
- Step 3. Bake until risen and golden.
Peanut butter glaze ingredients
- 1 tsp sugar-free smooth natural peanut butter
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- 1 stick of non-nutritive sweetener
Peanut butter glaze instructions
- Step 1: Heat ingredients in the microwave for 1 minutes.
- Step 2: Mix throughly before dipping each doughnut into glaze to coat the top.
Almond milk is a popular alternative to dairy milk as it has a similar creamy texture. It also has a pleasant nutty flavour. It is therefore a popular choice for vegans and those allergic or intolerant to dairy. If using store-bought varieties, rather select those that do not contain added sugar. almond milk is naturally rich in several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, thiamin, riboflavin and magnesium.
Coconut flour is a rich source of fibre, protein and healthy fats. It is an ideal replacement to refined flour as it does not contain any wheat or grains. It also has a low GI.
Cinnamon ranks highly as a superfood because of its rich polyphenol antioxidant content, which makes it a potent natural anti-inflammatory.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.