Nothing beats comfort eating during the cold winter weather to warm you up and cut through the winter chill.
Try this wholesome one-pot winter wonder recipe to enjoy all the comfort that warm, hearty stews offer, without the unnecessary calories.
- 8 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ cups of water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ chopped onion
- ½ beef stock cube
Sweet potatoes are a nutritious complex carbohydrate. They are rich in an antioxidant called beta carotene and provide potassium, manganese and vitamins B5, B6, C and E, along with pro-vitamin A. Sweet potatoes also contain soluble and insoluble fibre, which helps to satiate the most ravenous winter appetite.
- Cut chicken breasts into cubes and brown in a pot with some olive oil.
- Add water, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Cover with a lid and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots and bay leaves and cook for a further 25 minutes on low heat (or until sweet potatoes are cooked through and chicken is tender).
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Box and bag it: This is a great recipe to prep and freeze for work lunches or an easy dinner reheat!
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.