Lighten up your heavy winter eating plan with this protein-packed green salad.
Including salads with raw ingredients in your winter meal plans is a tasty way to get more nutrients and beneficial enzymes because cooking vegetables can denature enzymes and other nutrients.
- 250g fillet steak
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 125g baby leaf spinach
- 2 tbsp chickpeas, cooked
- 75g sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds
- Pinch of Himalayan rock salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Balsamic reduction to taste
- Olive oil
Fillet is a lean protein source, ideal for any calorie-conscious diet plan. It can also adds a warm element to anotherwise cold dish, which makes it more appetising in winter.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Fry fillet steak to preference. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Arrange the spinach, chickpeas, feta, sun-dried tomatoes and mixed seeds on a serving platter. Add the black pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction and olive oil over the salad.
- Toss the salad and serve immediately.
You can also pump up the protein content of your meal with plant-based sources. Chickpeas are a great protein source, offering 19g per 100g serving and a complete amino acid profile. These legumes are also packed with fibre.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.