A cold smoothie bowl with frozen ingredients, and cold milk or water probably isn’t at the top of your winter warmer breakfast list.
But with a little innovation and touch of warmth, you can whip up wholesome, comforting breakfast smoothie bowls that are ideal for the most frigid winter mornings.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 serving plant-based protein, chocolate flavour
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp chocolate-flavoured almond butter
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Rolled oats have a lower GI than processed instant products. This means a sustained release of energy throughout your morning.
- Soak your oats in the almond milk and place in the fridge, preferably overnight.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Blend the mixture in a highs-speed blender until the oats are fully broken down and you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Heat the smoothie mixture in a small saucepan over medium heat until it reaches a simmer.
- Garnish with your choice of toppings and serve.
Cacao powder contains numerous beneficial compounds, including powerful antioxidants called flavonoids. It is also a source of vitamins and minerals, including calcium, carotene, thiamin, riboflavin, magnesium, sulphur and EFAs.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.