Looking for a quick weekday snack that can fill the gap and sustain you until the next meal?
These delicious savoury muffins are made with better-for-you ingredients that are packed with nutrients and perfect for on-the-go snacking.
- ½ cup white quinoa, cooked
- ½ small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 handfuls of chopped spinach
- 1 small handful of basil
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
Muffins are a great prep-and-freeze option. Simply take one out of the freezer and let it thaw if meal prep needs to take a backseat during the week.
- ¼ cup Danish feta
- 3 tbsp milk
- Basil pesto
- Pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin seeds contain numerous vitamins and minerals, including iron, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc, and are a great source of plant-derived protein with about 30g per 100g serving.
- Heat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a large six-cup muffin tray.
- Finely dice the onion and garlic and shred the spinach.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs together then add in the remaining ingredients. Combine well.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cups and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- For the topping, place the feta and milk in a bowl and mix with a spoon. If you are making a large batch, you can use a food processor.
- Spoon onto the cooled muffins and top with basil pesto and pumpkin seeds to serve.
Recipe by An Earthen Life
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.