There is no better way to stick to your eating plan and achieve your goals than with low-cal, healthy meals that taste great.
- 1 pack of skinned zucchini
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 500g ostrich mince
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- Himalayan rock salt and pepper to taste
- ½ a small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped baby spinach
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs
Ostrich meat is a great low-fat protein source. You’ll also get additional vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, selenium, niacin, vitamin B6, phosphorus and zinc. The secret to preparing tasty ostrich is to not overcook it.
- Peel the zucchini into long fettuccine-like strips.
- Sauté lightly with the herbs for 5 minutes in the coconut oil until soft.
- In a mixing bowl mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Use your hands to form meatballs and place on them a baking tray (pre-greased with Spray ‘n Cook).
- Bake on 190ºC for 10 minutes. Turn the meatballs over and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with a homemade pasta sauce and Zucchini fettuccine.
Recipe by Laura Danielz
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.