Boil them. Fry them. Scramble them. Whisk them into the perfect omelette. For most, that’s the full extent of their egg preparation repertoire.
While it’s enough to keep things interesting come breakfast time, there is so much more that you can do with this versatile and highly beneficial protein-packed ingredient. Try these delicious deviled eggs for a start!
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- 3 tbsp cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp vinegar or white wine
- 2 tsp brown mustard
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- ½ tsp paprika
A medium-sized egg contains 5g of protein. And this muscle-building macronutrient is highly bioavailable, which means your body rapidly breaks down and absorbs the amino acids to help muscle cells repair and grow. This quality makes eggs the perfect food for first thing in the morning. This protein is mainly contained in the egg white, or egg albumin.
- Hard boil the eggs, then let them cool down completely.
- Cut the eggs in half, then use a teaspoon to carefully spoon out the egg yolks.
- Combine all the other ingredients, except the chives and the paprika. Mix until fairly smooth.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into the centre of the egg whites. Add the chives and a dash of paprika on each egg.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.