Bake your cake and eat it with this protein-packed recipe, without sacrificing that chocolately flavour we all love!
- 2 scoops whey protein powder, chocolate flavour
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 85ml cacao
- ½ cup xylitol
- 1 tbsp maize flour
- 250g apple sauce
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp coffee
Ditch the instant coffee. Opt rather for freshly ground coffee from your favourite local roastery as this packs the most nutrients and will have a higher caffeine content.
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp xylitol
- ½ scoop whey protein powder, chocolate flavour
The Greek yoghurt not only delivers an additional protein punch, but also boosts the calcium content of this healthier chocolate treat. It is also a good source of probiotics, potassium and vitamin B12.
Coconut flour is made from ground and dried coconut meat – the white, rich, inner flesh of the coconut. It is a rich source of fibre, protein and healthy fats. It is an ideal replacement to refined flour as it does not contain any wheat or grains. It also has a low GI.
- Combine the apple sauce and yoghurt.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and blend.
- Scoop the batter into a pan and bake for 40-45 minutes at 180°C.
- Mix all ingredients and frost cake once it has cooled. Store cake in the fridge.
Cacao is a superfood as it is packed full of free radical-destroying antioxidants, along with healthful doses of iron, magnesium and calcium.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.