Whether you prefer the modern fruity and floral flavours from modern chai tea options or the spiced traditional taste profile, it’s a great ingredient for your morning smoothie bowl.
Depending on your preferred tea, chai can help boost energy, aid digestion, boost your antioxidant intake and reduce inflammation, among other benefits. And this recipe is a warm and comforting way to start even the coldest day.
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 serving plant-based protein powder, vanilla flavour
- 1 chai tea bag
- 1 banana
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp almond nut butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of Himalayan rock salt
Almond butter is rich in healthy fats and contains manganese, calcium and magnesium derived from the almonds themselves.
- Brew the chai tea. Add the rice milk and chai tea to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 5-10 minutes. Allow the tea to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a high speed blender and add the brewed tea. Blitz the mixture on high-speed until a smooth and thick consistency is achieved.
- Pour the mixture into bowls and top with sliced banana, granola or seeds, and cinnamon, if desired.
Rice milk is lactose-free and vegan-friendly, which makes it a popular milk alternative. Its natural sweetness is ideal for use in smoothies, breakfasts or teas and coffees.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.