Whip up this wholesome smoothie bowl for your next breakfast to tick all the boxes for the perfect morning meal.
Every bowl contains ample protein to feed recovering muscles and fill you up, with natural carbs and fats to fuel your day.
- 3 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 serving plant-based protein, vanilla flavour
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 tbsp natural honey
Oat bran is derived from oat groats and is packed with beneficial compounds. It is high in fibre, and contains various vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
How to make it…
- Blitz the apples in a blender until there are no large chunks left.
- Add in the yoghurt, almond milk, oat bran and cinnamon. Continue to blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and top with the almonds, banana and honey.
- Serve immediately.
Cinnamon contains a beneficial compound called cinnamaldehyde, which is the predominant compound in the essential oil that gives cinnamon its flavour and odour. This spice is also loaded with powerful antioxidants called polyphenols.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.