Rising summer temperatures call for cold, delectable desserts, but sticking to homemade recipes will help keep your calorie and sugar intake in check.
This protein-packed fridge pudding uses ‘clean’, diet-approved ingredients to keep you on track and your cravings in check.
- 60g oats (can be your own measurement according to your meal plan)
- 2 tbsp almond nut butter
- 1 heaped scoop casein protein powder
- Sweetener (optional)
Casein is a milk-derived protein that digests more slowly than whey. It tends to clump in the digestive tract, which delivers a prolonged amino acid release to sustain the muscle repair process for longer. This characteristic also makes it the ideal protein for use before bed.
- Pour just enough boiled water over oats to cover and coat them.
- Once the water is absorbed, mix in the almond nut butter, cinnamon and sweetener (optional).
- In a separate bowl, mix your heaped scoop of casein powder with water to create a smooth paste.
- Add casein protein on top of the oat mixture.
- Add a few berries or apple slices and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top before placing the dessert in the fridge to set.
- Leave for at least 15-25 minutes before eating.
Recipe supplied by Marcelle Collison, IFBB Figure Pro
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.