Smoothies are an ideal option for a satisfying breakfast, or as a mid-afternoon pick-me-up to keep you going until dinner.
Start your day the right way with this green breakfast smoothie with a dose of protein and ample energy!
- ½ cup Lifestyle Food rolled oats
- 1 scoop plant protein, vanilla flavour
- 1 orange, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 bananas, 1 frozen
- 3 tbsp Lifestyle Food almond butter
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1½ cups Lifestyle Food soya, oat almond or rice milk
Hemp seeds adds in extra healthy fats in the form of omega-3s, along with added protein, fibre, and a host of other nutrients.
Pumpkin seeds are rich in various vitamins and minerals, including iron, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc. They’re also energy dense and a great source of plant protein.
- Add the rolled oats to a blender and blend until ground.
- Chop your bananas into pieces for easier blending.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add more milk to thin it out, or add ice cubes to thicken it.
Almond butter is rich in healthy fats, manganese, calcium and magnesium.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.