Build more muscle with every bite of this protein-packed beef and veggie stir fry recipe.
The meat provides the amino acids your muscles need to grow while the fresh veggies nourish your body with various vitamins and minerals.
- 500g lean beef, thinly sliced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced diagonally
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 500g stir-fry vegetable mix (spinach, cabbage, julienne carrots, etc.)
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 medium tomato, chopped for garnish
- 1½ cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Lean beef is protein-packed food offering 36g of this muscle-building macronutrient per 100g serving.
- Toss the beef in a bowl with soy sauce, salt and black pepper. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare vegetables and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick wok or wide frying pan. Drain the beef and reserve the marinade, then add the garlic and sauté over high heat. Stir fry until the meat is brown.
- Add the onions, celery, broccoli and mushrooms, then cover and steam for about five minutes.
- Mix the water, cornstarch and stir-fry vegetables. Marinate in a small bowl and pour into the pan.
- Heat to boiling and cook until thickened.
- Serve this dish with brown rice or a whole-wheat pita bread.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.