Carb-conscious eating doesn’t mean you need to deny yourself the pleasure of pizza.
Create this Banting pizza masterpiece with a mix of natural ingredients and no meat – it’s the ideal option for meat-free Monday!
Ingredients for the dough
- 90g almond flour / ground almonds
- 125g mozzarella, grated (do not use pre-grated mozzarella – it gets tossed with starch to keep it from sticking together and will prevent it from melting homogeneously)
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 large egg
Ingredients for the toppings
- 125ml tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 100g mozzarella, grated
- 1-2 tbsp pickled jalapeños
- 1 tbsp baby capers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Handful fresh rocket, to serve
Also known as baby Bella mushrooms and mini portobellos, portobellini mushrooms are the more mature stage of the white button mushroom and are the slightly immature version of the portabella mushroom.
- Preheat oven to 200˚C, with the fan on.
- Place the almond flour, mozzarella and cream cheese in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat and keep stirring with a firm spatula or wooden spoon until melted and well combined.
- Remove from the heat and add the egg.
- Working quickly, stir until the egg has been incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough between 2 large pieces of baking paper.
- Roll out thinly into a ± 30cm pizza base.
- Remove the top piece of baking paper and slide the dough onto a large baking tray.
- Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until golden.
- Carefully flip the base and bake for a further 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- While the base is cooking combine the tomato puree, dried herbs and garlic in a small
- saucepan. Bring to a simmer and reduce until thickened. Season to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and cook the mushrooms until barely tender but not cooked
- through. Season lightly.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza base.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Top with mushrooms, capers and jalapeños.
- Return to the oven and reduce the heat to 180˚C.
- Cook until the cheese melts and is lightly golden brown.
- Scatter with fresh rocket, black pepper and serve.
Recipe supplied by the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.