Most people’s new year resolutions include losing weight, being healthier and getting into shape. The question is where to start. The health experts have weighed in on the best diets for 2018 and the Mediterranean diet ranks at the top.
The Mediterranean diet focuses on vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, legumes, potatoes, whole grains, bread, herbs, spices, fish, seafood and extra virgin olive oil. Foods eaten in moderation include poultry, eggs, cheese and yoghurt. Red meat is eaten very rarely.
Here is a typical meal plan for one day on the Mediterranean diet:
Breakfast – Oatmeal with fruit and nuts
- ½ cup Pouyoukas whole rolled oats cooked in ½ cup skim milk and ½ cup water
- ½ cup diced fruit
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
Method: Top oatmeal with apple, walnuts and a pinch of cinnamon.
Snack – 1 fruit
Lunch – Green salad with spiced chickpea nuts
- 1 big green salad
- ½ round of feta cheese
- 5 olives
- ¼ cup spiced chickpea nuts (recipe below)
Method: Combine ingredients and top salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Snack – 6 dried apricots
Dinner – Roast salmon with fennel and couscous
- Salmon fillet, coated with ¼ teaspoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- 1 cup roasted fennel bulb, tossed with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 1 cup cooked Pouyoukas whole wheat couscous topped with 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.
Snack – 1 fruit
RECIPE: Chickpea nuts
- 2 cups dried Pouyoukas chickpeas, prepared as per pack instructions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Toss chickpeas in a bowl with other ingredients.
- Spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring once or twice, until browned and crunchy for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
Author: Tanja Schmitz
Founder and Editor of Fitness Magazine. You’ll find her behind her computer or on her bike, dreaming up new ways to improve or create content for you.