adidas Running has unveiled adidas 4DFWD – the next step in data-driven, 3D printed midsole innovation, designed to move runners forward.
Combining years of athlete data with the unique technology of 3D printing, adidas 4DFWD is created to give runners a new running experience.
For over four years, adidas has developed 4D lattice midsole technology in partnership with Carbon. Combining athlete data and Carbon’s Digital Light SynthesisTM technology to produce precision-tuned 3D printed midsoles, adidas 4D footwear is among the first in the world to use this cutting-edge technology.
The technology can fine-tune midsoles to specific movement patterns, so that athletes can enjoy precision performance with every step.
Born from this process is the new adidas 4DFWD lattice midsole. Identified from one of five million possible lattice structures and made of 39% bio-based material, the bowtie-shaped FWD CELL has been specifically coded to compress forward upon vertical impact.
When compared to previous generations of 4D midsole, adidas 4DFWD generates three times as much forward motion under vertical loading in mechanical testing conditions.
As a result, peak braking force experienced by the athlete during running is reduced on average by 15% as the midsole redirects these vertical impact forces into horizontal forward motion – delivering running economy comparable to that of Ultraboost midsoles in lab conditions.
adidas 4DFWD was tested through a range of bio-mechanical testing procedures at the University of Calgary, which analysed specific areas such as forward motion, braking force and running economy. The concept was also tested extensively with adidas runners across the world. Cutting-edge cognitive perception testing took place at Arizona State University.
Support and comfort
Complementing the adidas 4DFWD midsole is a new PRIMEKNIT upper made in part from recycled polyester, which provides runners with a lightweight premium upper that encases the foot in a seamless sock-like fit.
Historical mapping data has been used to code the PRIMEKNIT upper to align with the unique properties of the 4DFWD midsole, giving runners the support and comfort they need while on their run.
adidas 4DFWD features:
- LATTICE CONSTRUCT: Made of 39% bio-based 3D material, offering 23% more cushioning and generating over three times as much forward motion when compared to previous generations of 4D midsole under vertical loading in mechanical testing conditions
- MIDSOLE: A unique bowtie-shaped FWD CELL redirects energy from each step’s impact to create horizontal forward motion
- UPPER: The PRIMEKNIT+ upper provides a sock-like fit, while letting the foot breathe freely.
- OUTSOLE: Rubber outsole works in harmony with the adidas 4DFWD midsole for superior traction.
- WEIGHT: 333g for size UK 8.5
- HEIGHT: Stack height: 11.3 mm, Forefoot stack height: 21.2 mm, Rearfoot stack height: 32.5 mm
The adidas 4DFWD will drop in three specific colourways, including a special Tokyo Collection drop, which will be the main podium shoe for athletes in Tokyo this summer.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.