In our efforts to keep holiday weight at bay, without sacrificing our enjoyment of our time away, many of us relegate ourselves to boring cocktails such as vodka and soda, a G&T, or whisky and water.
While they are all great choices, the monotony of ordering the same drink over and over again will soon wear thin. To help you enjoy your time on holiday with a few tasty alcoholic drinks that help you unwind, here are our top cocktail recipes!
- 45ml freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 15ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 15ml distilled, filtered water
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 shot tequila
- slice of lemon
- Squeeze lemons and oranges until the required amount of juice is derived.
- Combine tequila, lemon juice, agave, orange juice, and water in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well, strain, and serve over ice.
- Add a slice of lemon as garnish.
Rule #1 for making healthier holiday cocktails- ditch the sugar-laden mixes!
Ginger Iced Tea and Vanilla Vodka
- 1 shot vanilla vodka
- 4-6 fresh ginger slices
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Boiling water
- Boil water and add sliced ginger. Allow to boil for 10 mins.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Allow to cool in the fridge.
- Pour the tea into a cocktail glass, add a shot of vodka and some ice, and serve.
Top tip! Don’t rely on cordials or sodas to flavour your drinks! Use healthy, fresh fruit, herbs or spices.
- 2 grapefruits or about 120ml of grapefruit juice
- 45ml unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 shot vodka
- Rince two grapefruits with warm water.
- Cut them into halves, and place each half into a juicer. Blend until the required amount of juice is extracted.
- Pour grapefruit into a large pitcher, the add all ingredients.
- Drop ice into cocktail glasses and pour into mixture to serve.
For the sweet tooth, make your own freshly squeezed fruit juice from local seasonal produce.
Strawberry Grapefruit Mimosa
- 2 grapefruit or 120ml of grapefruit juice
- 120ml champagne
- Fresh Strawberries
- Rince two grapefruits with warm water. Cut them into halves and place each half into a juicer. Blend until the required amount of juice is extracted.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine grapefruit juice and five sliced strawberries. Shake well until juice is a dark pink colour.
- Add thyme and allow the mixture to sit so that flavours can infuse in the juice.
- Combine the champagne and juice blend in equal parts and serve.
Author: Logan Leigh Rix
Logan blends her passion and profession by working as a digital and social media marketer and content creator in the fitness, health and wellness industry. She’s also a personal trainer, former Face of Fitness finalist and Fitness Magazine featured athlete.