The HI-TEC Walkerbay Xtreme (WBX), a four-day adventure sports festival situated in the heart of Hermanus, will return to the Whale Capital for the third time between 27 and 30 April 2018.
Although relatively new on the regional race calendar, WBX has been growing in popularity and is considered a firm favourite among elite and recreational sports enthusiasts alike.
“We are thrilled to welcome athletes from across the country back to Hermanus at the end of April,” says Rick Oosthuyzen, one of the organisers of the HI-TEC Walkerbay Xtreme. “We received fantastic feedback after the 2017 event and have made some exciting changes to the event line-up.”
With 12 disciplines to choose from, the Walkerbay Xtreme offers something for everyone – from adventure seekers, professional athletes and fitness fanatics to the recreational outdoor enthusiast looking for a new challenge and a fun-filled sporting holiday in one of SA’s favourite adventure sports hotspots.
In addition to the old favourites – the Big 6 Xtreme, triathlon, MTB Criterium, open water swim, surfski and SUP events, as well as the popular Swim-Run-Jump Challenge – the organisers have added a street mile sprint, off-road triathlon, junior triathlon, shorter open water swim and mountain bike challenge to the 2018 event mix.
Big Prize Money
An added drawcard to the 2018 Walkerbay Xtreme is the prize money on offer – R100 000 in prizes split across a number of events.
The Big 6 Xtreme – which is entered as a separate event and sees athletes competing in the street mile, 30km MTB Challenge, Swim-Run-Jump Challenge, sprint triathlon, open water swim, and a beautiful 17km trail run – will be held over the course of four days and participants will share a R30 000 prize purse.
Other events with prize money include:
- Walkerbay Xtreme Triathlons: R14 000 prize purse
- Marine Mile Xtreme: R11 000 prize purse
- Cliffpath Xtreme Fun Run: R10 000 prize purse
- Open Water Xtreme: R15 000 prize purse
- R20 000 prize total for athletes participating in both the Valley Xtreme MTB Challenge and the Urban Xtreme MTB Criterium
The Perfect Event To #FindYourXtreme As A Family
“The Walkerbay Xtreme is unlike any other event in South Africa,” adds Oosthuyzen. “It is an urban adventure and extreme challenge rolled into one that promises to test the speed, stamina and strength of every athlete participating, no matter their fitness or skill level.
“But what makes the WBX truly special is its inclusivity. Whether you are an age grouper at sporting events, a recreational outdoor enthusiast, or a family keeping fit and healthy, there will be an event for you.”
Athletes across several disciplines will congregate in Hermanus between 27 and 30 April 2018 to test their physical and mental limits on land and sea:
27 April: Marine Mile
- Valley Xtreme MTB Challenge
- Cliffpath Xtreme Run
- Tough Mother Xtreme X-Fitness Challenge
- Sea & Sand Xtreme Swim-Run-Jump Challenge
- Blue Water Xtreme SUP Challenge
- Urban Xtreme MTB Criterium
- Walkerbay Xtreme Sprint Triathlon
- Walkerbay Xtreme Off-road Triathlon
- Open Water Xtreme Swim Challenge
- Blue Mountain Xtreme Trail Runs
- Walkerbay Xtreme Junior Triathlon
- Old Harbour Xtreme Surfski Challenge
Author: Tanja Schmitz
Founder and Editor of Fitness Magazine. You’ll find her behind her computer or on her bike, dreaming up new ways to improve or create content for you.