We often take for granted the important work performed by our bones and joints. In fact, how often do we really think about it at all?
For most of us, getting up to walk across the room or bending down are instantaneous actions that require little thought or effort.
“Acts such as walking, running, bending and reaching are all natural movements that should happen without ever really thinking about what we’re doing,” says Odette Vass, brand manager for OsteoEze.
Raising awareness for joint & bone health
There are, however, those who struggle with chronic and debilitating joint pain and conditions that affect their bones, which is why World Bone and Joint week is commemorated every year. This year, it will be observed from 12–20 October.
The week is meant to highlight the important role that these bodily structures play in our daily lives and to promote proactive care and maintenance to reduce instances of pain and suffering from severe chronic bone and joint conditions.
A lack of adequate care can result in musculoskeletal conditions such as back pain, arthritis, osteoporosis and childhood conditions, and can lead to diminished productivity and quality of life.
Care for your joints with these tips
Looking after your joints early on in life can help curb problems that may occur. Vass suggests the following tips:
- Maintain a healthy body weight: Looking after your weight is also looking after your joints. By carrying excess weight, you are putting added strain onto your joints.
- Keep active: Exercising daily improves joint mobility and can help alleviate joint pain. The pain and stiffness in your joints can get worse if you don’t exercise, as this gets the joints moving. But, always remember to stretch before and after you exercise; it is important to warm-up and keep your joints warm.
- Reduce stress: When you are stressed your body produces the stress hormone cortisol, which drives down the production of collagen needed for healthy joints.
- Take daily supplements: OsteoEze® Gold* is formulated with high dosages of Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help build healthy cartilage, improve joint mobility and reduce stiffness and swelling.
- Don’t ignore pain: Pain is there for a reason and it is important that you understand that you wouldn’t be hurting if there wasn’t something wrong. Many people continue to exercise through the pain, and only cause more damage to the joint. If you are experiencing recurring pain make sure to go see your doctor and take OsteoEze® Acute*, a herbal anti-inflammatory with Boswellia, Curcumin and Ginger which reduces pain and inflammation.
This World Bone and Joint week, take a moment to remember the work that goes into lifting, bending and walking, and remember that taking care of your bones and joints will enable you to do all these daily activities.
*Efficacy of support between users may vary. This unregistered medicine has not been evaluated by the SAHPRA for its quality, safety or intended use.
Author: Pedro van Gaalen
When he’s not writing about sport or health and fitness, Pedro is probably out training for his next marathon or ultra-marathon. He’s worked as a fitness professional and as a marketing and comms expert. He now combines his passions in his role as managing editor at Fitness magazine.