Actress, adventurer, athlete, and goodwill ambassador Hlubi Mboya Arnold has done it all.
It comes as no surprise that we approached Hlubi to spearhead this issue as we launch our #strongwomen series. Tenacious and tough are but a few words that best describe this energetic pocket rocket.
From stepping on the competitive stage, climbing Kilimanjaro and finishing the Absa Cape Epic, to juggling a hectic career in the cut-throat TV and film industries, Hlubi still finds the time to pursue her passion for social entrepreneurship and community upliftment. It’s the type of life that epitomises what it means to be a strong woman.
When you’re fuelled by a fire as fierce as Hlubi’s, nothing is impossible
We asked her: Name five other #strongwomen you admire and why?
1. Caster Semenya, because of the demoralisation, abuse, and torment she endured, yet still had the strength and courage to win an Olympic gold medal, and then she got married. That is one woman who has her life together!
2. Every female athlete (and male, for that matter) in the South African special Olympics team. Despite their physical disabilities, they are mentally indestructible and won so many medals to make South Africa proud.
3. Serena Williams. She is living proof that hard work pays off and that there is no such thing as overnight success. She has no limits or boundaries. She is the champion of champions in my mind.
4. Letshego Zulu, the wife of the late Gugu Zulu, for her indestructible spirit, bravery, and will to carry on. Her close friends call her the iron lady and for good reason – she is exactly that. After losing her husband on the mountain, she still has ambitions to summit Kilimanjaro, and that’s the type of spirit that moves me.
5. Lastly, all moms, wives and career women who still manage to fit fitness into their daily rituals. Bravo, ladies. I take my hat off to you all!
Her complete interview and #strongwomen moments inside the current issue of Fitness magazine
Share your #strongwomen moment with us. Post and tag us with your answer to win.
1. Who inspires you to be strong?
2. Who do you nominate as a #strongwomen and why?
3. What’s your favourite #strongwomen quote?
We’re giving away a pamper hamper to the nomination of the best #strongwomen story. Caribbean Tan and Boost Gymwear hamper worth R2,660.
Author: Tanja Schmitz
Founder and Editor of Fitness Magazine. You’ll find her behind her computer or on her bike, dreaming up new ways to improve or create content for you.