This ‘one-cup-wonder’ contains 2 favourite ingredients; coffee and chocolate, this drink is perfect for anyone looking for a pick-me-up or caffeine boost. You’ll also get your morning dose of protein.
A store-bought iced coffee product such as a mocha frappaccino can contain up to 450 calories (for a grande with full-cream milk) and up to 40g of sugar for unflavoured variants – that’s 10 teaspoons! Add flavouring and that increases to between 60-75g of sugar. Making it at home, puts you in control of the ingredients and quantities to ensure a tasty beverage that doesn’t contain too much sugar.
Cool fact: Mazagran, a cold, sweetened coffee beverage that originated in Algeria around 1840, has been described as “the original iced coffee”. It was prepared with coffee syrup and cold water.
- Single or double shot of espresso (as per preference)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free milk
- 1⁄2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 scoop whey protein powder, chocolate flavour
- 10 ice cubes
- Brew the espresso shot(s) and allow to cool.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more ice (thicker) or more almond milk (thinner) to achieve desired consistency.
Author: Tanja Schmitz
Founder and Editor of Fitness Magazine. You’ll find her behind her computer or on her bike, dreaming up new ways to improve or create content for you.