The Internet hails the 17 January as “Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day” as this is when people tend to give up or grow tired of their resolutions.
However, staying fit by combining a smarter office exercise regimen with a mini workout at your local health club, is a goal that’s easy enough to achieve and maintain throughout the year! Not only is this combination a good way to stay active, but it will help you to feel energised throughout the day.
Try to incorporate the tips below into your day at the office:
- Stress-relieving lunchtimes: Commit to a digital-detox and avoid that never-ending stream of e-mails and text messages. Try a yoga or Pilates class to improve your flexibility, mobility and strength, or spend some time in the sauna or steam room at your local Virgin Active Health Club. It’ll reduce stress, keeping you relaxed, focused and ready to take on the rest of the afternoon.
- Creative combo: Grab a colleague and go for a walk outside, even if it’s just around the area. Even better, combine your walk with a 20-minute power workout on the circuit at your nearest club or gym. Walk for 20 minutes, pull in those abs, drop those tense shoulders, tighten up those glutes and stop for 10 lunges along the way! Going with a colleague or friend will motivate you to stick to this routine. It’s a great way to catch up, have a meeting on the go and get that cardio workout in. Send a weekly scheduler as a reminder.
- Deskercise: Get a stand-up desk at work or get up every 28 minutes for 2 minutes. Try replacing your chair with an exercise ball at regular intervals and for short periods at first – it’s good for your spine alignment and causes you to constantly change positions.
- Brain boost: Instead of booking a meeting room at work, meet your client at a Virgin Active Health Club and do a class together. It has been proven that a pulse-pounding workout increases your circulation, boosts your energy levels, and sharpens your thinking for a more productive meeting.
- Just chill: Make sure you always have a full bottle of cold water at your desk. Water will keep you hydrated during the day. You can also try adding frozen fruit to your water bottle. Your burn more calories drinking icy water than room temperature water! It kicks up your metabolism.
Author: Tanja Schmitz
Founder and Editor of Fitness Magazine. You’ll find her behind her computer or on her bike, dreaming up new ways to improve or create content for you.